$$ Come...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Service Recovery @ Starbucks

I was at the SB Pusat Bandar Damansara this morning when I was waiting for my passport to be ready for collection. 

 

The store has a very good frontage, as it located at the Block C facing the main road and you will noticed it.  The store has both the inside and outside seating area.  Very cool ambience as you will feel so comfortable having your coffee in a secluded area with people walking pass you.  I can feel the "speciality" when I was there.

 

As I was entering the store, there was only 2 baristas, i.e. Teoh handling the POS and Wan trying to clear up the display cabinet.  I was second in line waiting for my turn to order.  Teoh was a very inviting barista.  All the welcoming quotes that SB use, he said it.  However, when he heard my customise drink, there it will go wrong.  I wonder if the customisation is being so "weird" that most of the SB Baristas seems to be unable to handle.  At the POS itself, its already gone wrong. 

 

When he stare at me point blank, I told him to pass me the sticker and I will mark my own drink.  He did, and with apologetic reaction, he took my order, my payment and of course issue me the necessary points that I deserve.

 

As soon as I am about to sign my points collection slip, I saw the barista at the Bar making my drink with a 3 pump of syrup.  I re-correct him, and told him the syrup is only 2 pump.  The answer given, "oh, its 2 pump, because earlier was just air"... Then I ask him, how confident are you that the syrup does not fell in my drink, and he just start blank and give me a kind of "well.. I change then" of reaction for me...

 

Slowly, I walked over to the bar collecting my drink, and to my surprise, they are using the espresso cup as shot glass!  The bar is so untidy with the cups there...  and when out of my curiosity, and it was answered, Baristas broke it, no stock to replace, so use espresso cup first la!  ha ha... this kind of answer, I hope it was not being taught by the DM or SM!

 

Then, it come to my Shots!  It was at 10am when I walk in and order my drink, and when I commented on the shots, the barista (I believe he is very senior working as a barista) says, "oh the grinds too fine!  I redo and send to you".  I told him off straight, that its his duty to ensure the grinds are calibrated everyday before Store OPEN, not when a customer complain.  Why do I have to wait?  Just because I know how a espresso shot is being consider good?  You mean all this while barista "buat bodoh" and serve the other customers blindly?

 

I told him NO, I wont go outside because I got no confidence that he will be able to give me a perfect cup of coffee.  I will just wait there till he is able to pull a standard good shot.  Well, he tried and I walk off smiling with my coffee.

 

I always anticipated that the minute I walk away from the counter, I will be cursed due to my demand. ha ha!

 

True enough!  There was a barista (Efa) who used to work as a Supervisor and knows how fussy I am, came up to me to say hi.  She was saying that I should request for her to do my drink in order not to get so uptight.  Well, she was not there when I am there!  She walked in only after I got my drink and seated!  Aiyo... or else this post will be written differently!  Efa over heard the conversation of the baristas when she clock in for work, and when she ask who, they pointed at me!

 

Anyway, the supervisor (Wan) did give me a recovery voucher and apologise for the situation.  I think if its not Efa, this would not happen, as this store is also under the supervisory of Mohin (DM) - the same DM in my earlier post, Summit USJ. ha ha....  Now you know the DM plays important part in guiding the stores??

 

It was a good time to catch up with Efa knowing that she now got a freelance job and become a part time barista instead of supervisor, I wish her all the best here!  I do hope SB will treasure lots of Efa alike barista, rather than someone too senior and tend to take the customers for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits!

Cynful Pleasure Bakery

Booksneeze

I review for BookSneeze®